You may have a lot of money saving tricks up your sleeve, that help you leave more of your money in your pocket, but there are a few tricks that you may have missed. You may shop the local ads or look for the cheapest prices online, on a regular basis. But chances are that there are a few money saving tools that you are not using that could save you lots of cash. If you don’t use them, you may be leaving money on the table. Here are 5 tips to keep more of your hard earned money.
- Use the Google comparative shopping tool. If you are looking for a good online price for an item, that is a specific make and model, you probably already know that Google is the first place to start, for a general search. The retailers that appear at the top of the search results, or in the sponsored results, are not there because of their prices. They are at the top because of good “SEO” (Search Engine Optimization) techniques. Use the full website version of Google.com or Google.co.uk for your search. When you get to the results page, click the “Shopping” link at the top. You will then be presented with actual items for sale at various retailers. Use the “Sort” drop-down box, to sort items by price, from low to high. Now you will be presented with the least expensive items first.
- Buy items that you would normally buy in local stores, especially if they have free shipping. Instead of spending time and money on transportation to stores, shop online for commonly used items, in advance of your need. Chasing local sales can make you “spend a pound to save a penny,” for you must include transportation costs to your total purchase price. The value of your personal time is surely worth more than a trip to a big-box store to buy a few items.
- Ask for price-matching. When you are shopping in a physical store and want to buy a significantly priced item, do a web search on your smartphone. Many retailers will match competitor’s prices in their store.
- Check for Groupon Coupons, for stores that have items you wish to buy. For example, you can find a variety of percentage off and free shipping coupons, for health and beauty products at the Groupon Coupon page for the online store, All Beauty. With tens of thousands of retailers, you can save big money on most everything you need. Before you buy something online, check to see if you can get discount codes from Groupon.
- Sign up for store newsletters. Many retailers have newsletters and reward loyal customers with special deals or free items, which are only advertised in those newsletters. It is convenient to sign up for these with a GMail account, because if you have chosen to categorize your inbox, GMail will automatically place their promotional newsletters in the “Promotions” section of your mail box. This will decrease mailbox clutter and you can check that section of your inbox for good deals, when you are ready to shop.
Take advantage of these tips and you could save thousands of pounds per year.